Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wiki & Google & Me - Research

When I get asked how I research my books I answer Google +Wiki.that's really about it.Whatever word I'm interested in  Google + WikiCaverns wikiI type that into GoogleNew Mexico wikiAndersonville Prison wikiAnd here comes Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia.It's the one two punch, the Google Wiki comboBut everyone once in a while I get out from behind my computer and go get my hands on something.I'm amazed how often that sparks really rich, creative ideas. So last week I went to a Civil War Museum in Minnesota. This is it (above). The Prospect House & Civil War Museumhttp://www.prospecthousemuseum.org/ They were having a festival so it was even more interesting than I expected. I went in with no plan (much like I write my books!!!) and just wanted to learn and maybe to touch!I'd like to think it's the cowboy shoot-'em-up genre in which I write, but I just love historical guns. This lady(above), in period appropriate costume, sat behind this table of authentic Civil War Era guns and knives. And here is a case of Confederate currency. Money is unbelievable difficult to pin down. It was not always the standardized system we have today. And sometimes when I'm walking through museums I strike gold.I did that in this picture, above.A Yellow Boy Rifle.I'd never heard of a Yellow Boy before I began my most recent WIP. Then I found a reference to it and how widespread it's use and have one of my heroes carrying a Yellow Boy.And here one is. And the man who was standing beside me knew all about it. All about guns in general. He showed me how to load it and cock it.I think he'd have let me pick it up but I didn't want to push my luck.I also didn't want to end up face down on the floor with a SWAT team member's foot on my neckIt's such a small thing, but now when my hero is drawing his rifle I've got a visual. I can really see him cocking the gun, loading the gun. I can see that brass plate that gave it the nickname Yellow Boy. And I try NOT to dwell on details like that, but I think you can see in an author's work when she knows what she'd talking about. (I hope not since mostly I don't!!!)Now it's your turn.Tell me about research. It's not just for historical fiction.If you've ever set a book anywhere outside your home town you know that!!!Tell me about a time you got out from behind your desk and really touched something.Tell me if it helped or affected how you wrote in any way.Or if you have never done that, then tell me about something great you found during research that made it all worthwhile.And be on the lookout for a Yellow Boy Rifle in an upcoming release by Mary Connealy.Leave any comment to get your name in the drawing for a signed copy ofA Bride for All Seasons.http://www.maryconnealy.com 
Source:http://seekerville.blogspot.com/2013/08/wiki-google-me-research.html

Wiki & Google & Me - Research Images

Seekerville: Wiki & Google & Me - Research
(448 x 336 - 55.11 KB - jpeg)

Seekerville: Wiki & Google & Me - Research
(448 x 336 - 48.65 KB - jpeg)

full form of google yahoo computer AISHA adidas ajax gprs icici sofa ...
(780 x 434 - 50.11 KB - jpeg)

Google Image Result for upload.wikimedia....
(200 x 200 - 3.03 KB - jpeg)

No comments:

Post a Comment